The entire block is known as the Kauffman Block, built by Max Kauffman in 1907. He operated the Syndicate Department Store at this location through 1918. Kennedy Brothers furniture replaced the Syndicate until it was sold and became Armstrong & Allen Furniture in 1927. Armstrong & Allen was in business for many years until 1990. In 1992, Canterbury Coffee opened for two decades.